Symdaddy Humour

This is where Symdaddy let's the funny side out for an airing.
(Symdaddy is George Turnbull. Sym is my border collie, of which I am the 'daddy')
Pictures (borrowed) with captions of my own making, the occasional video (if I can work out how to use the camera) and maybe a link or two to someone else's take on what's funny.

I hope you like it!

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Macey

Macey was one of a litter of kittens abandoned and taken into foster by Four Paws . I’d been toying with the idea of having a cat in the house again as there’d always been one when I was growing up .. well I saw this little boy (as we thought) on the forum and thought he’d settle in fine with Mac and I. I put in my application, it was accepted and knew I’d have to wait a couple of weeks so he could have his first vax, Well his visit to the vets came and went, and then the foster mum put up on the forum that the little boy kitten I’d put an application for was actually a little girl. So, after getting over the shock, I decided it’d be ok to have a girl in the house .. though most of my pets have been male before .. not planned, just happened.

And Macey joined the family – The first visit of my grandson didn’t go as well as expected .. when he arrived he was told nana had a kitten and he and my daughter went looking for her. When she was found, spent a while playing with a long blue fluffy thing Macey likes and all was going well till Molly, daughters lab, decided to bark at Macey - no idea why as she lives with another cat, KC - Macey shot under the radiator cover and Jack burst into tears thinking he'd done something wrong and he'd upset Macey. Pauline had to explain to him that it wasn't his fault but Molly's where upon he went over to Molly and told her she was 'a bad dog, very naughty'. Don’t you just love children lol

I was fostering Stella, a blue and white staffy at the time, and when Macey arrived in her carrier the first thing the dogs did was go in for a sniff .. immediately Macey gave a hiss at them and while Mac, poor dog, just stood there looking bewildered Stella moved away pretty sharpish, obviously having come into contact with cats before. Stella kept her distance from Macey from the start, Mac meanwhile was still fascinated and if I wanted to know where Macey was I’d only have to look at Mac and follow the direction he was facing.

That start really set the tone for Macey and her attitude to dogs. If the 2 dogs were on my bed in the evening and Macey jumped up to join them she would snuggle her way across the bed till she was curled up into me and the 2 dogs just moved out of her way and slept at the bottom of the bed.

When a new foster, Poppy, joined the house one of the first things Macey did was to drop the nail brush (no idea why she was carrying it) on top of Poppy’s head. In the evenings you could see where Poppy was in the bedroom because Macey would be on the top of the bed battling at Poppy from above. Luckily Poppy seemed to like this game with Macey and would often play bow at her.

After Poppy left we had 2 cats in foster, Cuddles and Persia - it was at this point that Macey became a stalker. She was fascinated by Cuddles in particular and would spend all her time trying to get closer to her .. Cuddles was not impressed and told her so, often!

I’d like to say that after Cuddles and Persia left Macey calmed down, but that would be a lie as she then discovered the great outdoors. On her first exploration outside she went over the fence into the neighbours garden and upset the 2 adult cats there .. luckily she didn’t get into a fight but she didn’t want to listen to their warnings either .. she has discovered the pleasure of climbing trees, and getting chased down by local crows and even had the pleasure of being stalked herself by a friends dog. Yet another Labrador fascinated by this little creature.

Macey has just reached 6 months and been spayed and we’ve already had an adventurous couple of months with her and something tells me that that’s just the start of this little girls adventures ..

As with Mac her story can be seen under the title of Success Stories under cats and dogs happily homed on the Four Paws forum .

Julie Williams 
(Julieann)

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely story. I've never fostered any pets before. I've always been afraid that I would get too attached to them when it was time for them to go to a new home, *sniff*, even if it means a happy ending for the furry little one. - G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fostering has it's good sides and bad, mostly good. One of FPAR's fosterer's says it's our job to take away the hurt so that they can go forward to their new lives, or as a poem says, unpack their bags at last. The main thing most of us keep in mind is that if we fail then we may not be able to foster any more. I can only handle 2 dogs, if I failed I couldn't foster again .. so I won't fail

    ReplyDelete