Symdaddy Humour

This is where Symdaddy let's the funny side out for an airing.
(Symdaddy is George Turnbull. Sym is my border collie, of which I am the 'daddy')
Pictures (borrowed) with captions of my own making, the occasional video (if I can work out how to use the camera) and maybe a link or two to someone else's take on what's funny.

I hope you like it!

Thursday 14 April 2011

Jackson: September 27 & 28, 2010





Monday pm (September 27)

Ooops! 


Spoke a bit too soon. 

Not such a good day I think I overdid things yesterday and have a sore back leg; now only have two good ones - not a satisfactory situation. So had to go back to see the man in the green coat. I'll have to get some super-glue on my paws because P(eter) still managed to drag / carry me in to see him. Once in I was OK but I still watched him carefully - last Monday he pinched my leg! I went to see him two days later & he didn't give it me back - is it any wonder I don't trust him. 'Dai, the Leg Thief' (as I call him) seemed to think I had strained a muscle & told me to take it easy for a couple of days. 

D'ya see now why P&D have been trying to get me to slow down and not rush things. 

From what Julieann (forum) said the high five is spreading thing. Perhaps it will be in the Four-Paws 'training' section next. Perhaps Barack Obama should teach it to his dog (be a bit difficult for the Queen with her corgis - suppose there could be a "low five" for them).

P&D's Note:

Noticed the problem after the post last night but people had already replied so left it as it was.

Trying to research more about tri-ped dogs we found a recent project that had studied tri-peds because "canines are known for their resilience in the face of limb loss, often managing to move about admirably on three legs". Certainly Jack has amazing at doing that from day 1- too amazing probably.

The research only involved putting tri-peds on a treadmill for two minutes and filmed their movement with high speed cameras and analysing the results

It found that with an amputated hind-leg the fore-limbs acted almost as normally and the dog needed little or no compensation in the way it moved. But with a missing fore-leg (like Jack) the remaining limbs were "forced to undergo careful adaptation to co-ordinate with each other by a process called "gait adaptation". (From day 1 Jack has been totally oblivious to the careful bit). The researchers felt the difference was due to the higher loading of the front legs as they carry more of the dog's weight. The vet confirmed that there is more twisting of the spine with front leg loss. The way Jack moves puts a tremendous load on the front leg and the spine twisting puts a strain on the back leg on the side of the missing leg - the one where Jack's trouble has developed. Hopefully it is just a strain and clears up as quickly as it came, he is certainly moving a little better this evening, don't think we could face another X-ray.

[The notes are posted as much so Fourpaws have some data should they need to talk to others after an accident etc but the front leg stress was news to me and it may be useful to owners in injury situations. Having had a dog with cruciate ligament problems I wasn't aware that the back legs took less of the dog's weight than the front.]


.............................................................................................................................

Tuesday pm (September 28)

A boring day just "resting". 

I have tried to show them that the leg strain is nearly gone but its difficult to tell as I walk / hop completely differently. I feel I'm nearest to my old self running - but that's not allowed at the moment.

Can't they see I'm a lot better today? I have to admit that even I don't know how much though. 

I've been much more cheerful and perky - I was a bit down yesterday. I took them a toy & wagged my tail furiously yet still no joy, so I sat looking at them with my "intelligent" look. 

I followed D(aphne) into the other room and listened to the piano but that didn't work either - I'm running out of ideas here. 

 Have I lost my charm? 

In the end they took me out - just long enough to do 'those things' that I need to do. 

It's not good for a dog like me to be bored - they'll be putting on the Marley & Me DVD next. Well even that would be better than Masterchef (Mod note: Anything is better than Masterchef!).

Not long until Friday when the stitches come out. My hair is not really growing yet but it's getting a little stubbly, I suppose - where did Graham Gooch go to get his baldness sorted?

Jackson

1 comment:

  1. aww Jack - I'm sure it wont be long before your hair grows back I'm sure you haven't lost your charm - P & D are trying to get you to be sensible. Soon you will be tearing around again and playing like you used to. You are doing so well - it would be a shame to spoil things by overdoing it. Do you remember my husband Alun? Well I've been trying to get him to have a look at your smart new photos on here - but he wont - he is too upset I have told him how well you are doing and how happy you are - and that you are just the same old Jack - but he cant bear to think about what you have been through.
    I will keep reassuring him I think you are way stronger than he is

    ReplyDelete